Kale Chips!

Why have I not discovered these before?  Oh the amount of kale that has gone to waste this summer that I did not use in my morning smoothies in time and it went bad.

I've heard of homemade kale chips for a long time, probably a couple of years, but I didn't know how easy they were to make until a few months ago.  I'm not sure why I didn't try to make them before, maybe because it was too hot to turn on the oven, maybe I'm forgetful and would just forget, or maybe it was some other reason.

But today everything changed.  I got a bunch of kale in my CSA box today and I immediately came home, looked up some recipes for inspiration on Pintrest, then did a little of each that sounded best... and made two batches (the bunch of kale was pretty big).

As the second batch baked I tentatively tried a piece from the first batch - ranch kale chips.  I was shocked.  I didn't hate it!  I took another bite.  I was shocked again, I didn't even dislike it.  Another bite.  It was confirmed, I like kale chips.



The second batch came out of the oven (sea salt and garlic kale chips) and I did another test.  Once again, I was shocked.  I still liked them.  Then, I might have remembered that there was a leftover container of Little Ceaser's Crazy Sauce in my fridge, and I might have dunked a sea salt garlic kale chip into the sauce and I might have thought it was amazing.



Don't get me wrong, kale chips will NEVER be potato chips, but, they can fill the crunchy salty craving and can fill in for a dipping instrument for loose dips, like the consistency of marinara.  I ave to see how they will go with salsa (don't' have any on hand).  Even moderatly thick dips will be too much for kale chips to handle, but marinara sauce is perfect.  Next time I will make italian/garlic kale chips.  That should be perfect.

Want to know how to make them?

You'll need:
1 bunch of kale (1/2 of a bunch if it's a very large bundle)
1 zip-lock bag
Oil
Seasoning

Preheat oven to 350.

1. Wash and dry your kale. Use a paper towel to blot the kale to be sure it is completely dry (you want it to bake, but steam)

2. Remove the leaves from the stems and tear the leaves into slightly larger than bite-size pieces (they will shrink in the oven).

3. Pour a little oil in the bottom of the zip-lock bag.  Just barely enough to cover from left to right.

4. Add seasonings to taste into the bag with the oil and squeeze the bag to mix them together with the oil.

5. Add kale to the zip-lock bag.  Make sure that there is enough space that you will be able to toss the kale in the bag and it will actually move around.  You want to coat all of the kale with the oil/seasonings.  I blew into my bag before closing to help with this.

6. Shake/flip the bag until all the pieces are nicely coated.

7. Line a baking sheet with parchment, a nonstick baking mat, or lightly sprayed foil.

8. Place the pieces of kale onto the baking sheet making sure that none of the pieces are overlapping.

9. Bake for 10-15 minutes, checking often after the 9 minute mark.  They will burn quickly from this point.  At 11 minutes I took out any that were done and flipped any that still needed more time.  I placed them into a colander so that the heat would not cause any condensation in a bowl and make the chips soggy.

10. Enjoy!

I was surprised at how much I liked these and I look forward to making them again.

Taste wise they remind me of the single leaves of brussels sprouts that fall off when roasting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joined Weight Watchers Today

Walking and more walking.

Food AA & The Fresh 20